More to follow..
With all the seperate components finished, we settled with the theme of Red Indian for our lego man. His background story is that he grew tired of hunting for food in barren wastelands and decided to move to the big city. After wandering around for days, lost and confused, he stumbled upon a lecturer vacancy at a University.
For model making, we’ve been set the task of creating two replicas of a randomly selected chair. Lucky for me (not) I managed to land myself the Wassily chair by Marcel Breuer (http://www.knoll.com/products/brochures/Wassily.pdf) which is made primarily out of metal tubing and leaves little leeway for mistakes as each bit of tube used has to be cut to the exact measurements and bent with near perfect precision.
The image below is of the first replica which is made out of plastic card and tubing. Although a bit off-balanced when standing, it went pretty well with the only real mistake made being that I put the outer frame on back to front meaning the front bar was slightly higher than it was meant to be. The tubing was bent with a heat gun and then plastic weld was used to melt the different sections together.
The next part of the project is to recreate this replica to the same scale (hopefully with the outer frame the right way round this time) but out of the original material used for the actual Wassily chair (metal tubing and leather straps).
For one of our latest projects we had to build a 50:1 scale legoman out of cardboard, taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of the material in order to make it structurally sound (i.e. making sure the grain of the cardboard is going in the right direction), of accurate proportions and aesthetically pleasing. In our group, we split up the figure into 6 sections: the head, the arms, the hands, the torso, the groin and (my chosen part) the legs.
Starting off with a few simple sketches and measurements I put together a prototype net to the scale of 10:1 which I would then multiply by 5 in order to achieve the main structure.
Continuation of https://purplewax.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/legoman-project/
With the development of my pasta logo from the original Helix based style to the process driven sun based style, I felt that the original name, ‘Scienza di Pasta’ didn’t really flow with the rest of the project anymore. I started to explore names with connections to the themes that the logo portrays, i.e. sun, colour, industrial yet natural process. After a bit of research, I settled on ‘Apollo Pasta’, referencing the Greek Deity, son of Zeus and symbol of the sun. Possible Font changes may follow.
For one of our latest project, we were given the task of creating a giant legoman out of cardboard in groups of six, with each member working on a specific body part (Head/Torso/Arms/Hands/Groin/Legs).
Above and below is my 1:10 scaled prototype of the legoman’s left leg. Pretty simple to make with the only difficulty faced being getting the proportions of the circular bit at the top right. The prototype had to be pretty much perfect because I’ll be using the same net to create two, even larger versions out of cardboard for the final, full functioning legoman.