One of my all-time favourite pieces of furniture. Built and painted in a rush for a hand-in on foundation, it came together mostly by accident but I just fell in love with the mixture of sharp edges and flowing curves. Sadly, I no longer know of its whereabouts and these pictures are all that remain. Maybe in my second year when I get a bit more freedom, I’ll recreate the Globe Table just for my own enjoyment. Ahhh, I miss you.
With all the seperate components finished, we settled with the theme of Red Indian for our lego man. His background story is that he grew tired of hunting for food in barren wastelands and decided to move to the big city. After wandering around for days, lost and confused, he stumbled upon a lecturer vacancy at a University.
This is a photo of a chair sculpture that I noticed in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle. I have no idea who created it, what material it’s made out of or who the rather relaxed looking woman is. I just love the overall looks of the chair itself, mixing the common with the luxury and it just kinda, flows. It’s definitely my type of chair.
This post is a continuation of https://purplewax.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/210/.
Originally I wanted to create a set of four game pieces that could be played on a 3D board, to be sat or perched on the edge of cubes placed around the map marking which point of the game the player had reached. In my sketch work I started off with a shape that resembled a ‘bubbled’ letter Y, this then progressed and I started to explore the curvatures at the top, seeing if I could change the entire shape simple by tweaking one small element of design.
My original idea didn’t work in the way that I’d planned as the pieces didnt self-support when I placed them on the corners of a cube like object. Nonetheless, I liked the general shapes I had created and did a bit of detail work in lines to make them truly unique.
We were given the task of creating our own superhero and I can honestly say that it’s been my most enjoyable project to date.
Name: The Voice
Inspiration: World leaders/World Speakers. Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, Saddam Hussein, General Gadhafi, David Cameron, Osama Bin Laden.
Height: 7ft 4inches
Build: Lean, Muscular
Origins: American/Saudi mixed race. Illegitimate Child of U.S soldier and Saudi Arabian woman.
Superpower: The Power of Persuasion. This character has the very human attribute, of charisma but to a superhuman level. Wherever they go, whatever they say and whoever they say it to, they are able to present their own theories, ideologies and belief systems in such a way that no man, woman or child alive is able to resist. Thus ultimately achieving, world domination.
Interesting attributes: Highly intelligent. Writes poetry, Operas and short novels in spare time. Carries a Soviet styled Assault Rifle that has never been either loaded or shot, serving as a visual message to the global community that his words outweigh the threat that any gun could pose. Wears an authentic SS military jacket after receiving it from Oxfam in a clothes donation as a child, a sign of his personal vendetta against the American father who abandoned him and his mother after the war.
Basic Plot Synopsis
- The situation in Saudi Arabia is terrible. There is no law and order, no medicine, no shelter, no clean water, no sanity.
- The character, just a young adult at this point vows to make a change. Already inhumanly intelligent, the main character sets about getting an education in everything. Going through multiple schooling systems at the same time, reading in his spare time, speaking regularly with university professors, army officials, religious figures, men, women and children, getting a thorough knowledge of all before him.
- Now, armed with his own ideologies and belief system, he starts to gain a following of people unable to resist his persuasion. As well as a following, he gains his new persona, ‘The Voice’.
- His old name is never revealed.
- Following grows bigger as he presents his ideologies across the Middle East, people coming from far and wide to hear him speak. Reference to Jesus addressing the crowds in the bible.
- His word spreads across the globe until it is only America, in his eyes, the ultimate oppressor, that is resisting,
- There is a media blackout in America, as people fear the ‘word’ that this man from nothing spreads.
- Unable to spread his word vocally, The Voice gets more and more incensed, until eventually resorting to violence. He uses his power to manipulate the minds of his followers, so that they not only follow his every belief, but they are willing to actually give their lives for his cause. His anger is presented in a tyrade of suicide bombings across the US.
- The American government submits at the will of the weak-minded President, and the Word spreads across the states.
- Only small pockets of freedom fighters remain.
- As the film progresses, the focus changes from the main characters point of view, to that of the remaining freedom fighters. Gives an insight into both the Oppressed, and the Oppressor, but in reverse.
- Plot ends as it becomes apparent that The Voice has ultimately become the very Police State that he fought so hard against at the beginning.
The main aim of creating our own superhero, was to be able to then design a movie poster featuring them.
It was then our task to come up with a design that takes some of the art pieces main attributes into account. I was drawn to this piece of sculpture partly because of the swath of ocean colours, all shades of blues and greens and oranges. The second reason being, the texture. Rough to the touch and peppered with pores.
I started brainstorming ideas for possible design outcomes, flicking through bookshelves, remote controls, picture frames, carpet, door frames and so on. All of these ideas seemed possible but they lacked any real sense of adventure. I wanted to come up with something that used the material and appearance of the object to its full potential.
After a bit of research into the qualities of such porous rock types, I came up with the idea of a filter system. I wanted to create a self-cleaning sink system that minimised water waste by reusing one tank full of water continuously. Water that flows down from the snow-tipped mountains, enters into a natural filtering system that makes use of porous rock types such as Basalt and Scoria. The water runs down into a vast maze of intricately small holes that gradually filter all grime, dirt and debris from its flow producing crystal clear water.
My idea: If you could somehow create a sink with a base made of such rock types, the water will run through the holes whilst all dirt from possible dish washing remains on the top ready for an easy clean-up once drained. The water that drains through the holes will be pumped back into the tank to await the next use. The overall design of the sink system will be aiming to show the aesthetically pleasing rock off as much as possible, therefore the sink sides will all be made of a durable yet transparent plastic. This design is meant for cleaning purposes only and the water should not be drank. Heat will be provided from the pipes running from the tank to the tap but the whole aim of the design is to be minimalist, therefore the water will be produced at a permanent temperature and there will be no knobs or buttons to change this, simple an on/off button towards the back. There will also be a system in place to prevent water escaping from the base meaning that the sink can be filled for effective cleaning.